Searching \ for '[EE] Fedora 9 First Impression' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=fedora+first+impression
Search entire site for: 'Fedora 9 First Impression'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Fedora 9 First Impression'
2008\06\15@062159 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
I always wanted to try out both ubuntu and Fedora since both are among
the most popular Linux distros. I've used Ubuntu since 5.04 (5.04,5.10,
6.06, 6.10, 7.04,7.10 and 8.04) and now I am mainly using 8.04
even though I kept 6.06 and 7.10 as well. I've used Fedora since
Core 3 (Core 4, Core 5, Core 6, Fedora 7) but Fedora 8 failed to boot
in my system due to the conflict with FreeBSD. So I have not used
Fedora for a while except an old Fedora Core 6 installation used for
testing.

Today I installed Fedora 9 (after removing a dormant PCLinux 2007
partition). Initially I did not install grub since I always used my trusted
Ubuntu 6.06 to handle grub stuff and it works for all other Linux distros
I am using and it works for FreeBSD 7.0 and NetBSD 4.0 as well.

But this proved to be not a good idea for Fedora 9, which is always
on the cutting edge side. The grub from Ubuntu can not handle
Fedora 9 due to some changes. Google shows that there are many
users having similar problems.

Problems:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fedora-9-and-grub-error-2-problems-642487/

I tried to use the chainloading method in the thread but it did not work.
I was thinking of giving up but I decided to try it again. I chose to "Upgrade"
the new installation and surprisingly it gave me the chance to install the
bootloader and did not mess up the existing installation. The grub
bootloader did not recognize the other operating systems (not even
Windows XP) but I knew this from past experiences.

After this, Fedora 9 can boot properly. I modified the menu.lst file from
the Ubuntu 6.06 menu.lst file so that I could boot the other operating
systems.

So this time it is better than last time.

The normal operation of Fedora is quite ok just like my past
experiences with Fedora Core 6 and Fedora 7. There are
some new things like PolicyKit/ConsoleKit to set up permissions
for usb device which I am now learning. Other than that,
it is quite easy to get my usual programs (gputils, sdcc,
libusb, openusb, pk2cmd, etc) to work.

Any other Fedora 9 users here? What is your first impression
with Fedora 9?

Xiaofan

2008\06\15@140501 by Harold Hallikainen

face
flavicon
face

> Any other Fedora 9 users here? What is your first impression
> with Fedora 9?

I'm running Fedora 9 on this HP laptop that I'm on right now. It's
generally working quite well. Luckily, though, I'm doing image backups
with g4l. After it had worked quite well for a while, one morning it would
come up and say "GRUB" and just stop. So, I reloaded a good image and was
back in business. Then, this week, there was an upgrade that kills the
machine just prior to the login screen. It left the caps lock LED
flashing. I went back to a good image. The system did another upgrade with
the same result. So, back to the good image and don't allow the upgrade.
>From what I've read, there's something going on with the network manager
that is crashing the system. So, I'll hold off the upgrades for a while...

Drifting on the Fedora thread, I'm running a server with Fedora 4. I want
to put a larger hard drive in it. From what I've read, just copying an
image from the old drive will only use that portion of the new 500GB drive
that corresponds to the old 100GB drive. I've read all sorts of relatively
complex methods of getting the system to use the whole new drive. I'm
thinking there's got to be an easier way. One thing I'm thinking of is
doing a fresh install to he new drive, then copying files from the old
drive to the new. Even that seems complex, though, in that if I were to
copy fstab (and who knows what else), I'd probably destroy the new
installation.

Thoughts?

Harold


--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising
opportunities available!

2008\06\15@141751 by Dr Skip

picon face
Clonezilla will take a partition image and put it on a larger partition, and
can do a disk-disk copy too. It may be what you want.

-Skip


Harold Hallikainen wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2008\06\15@143308 by Carl Denk

flavicon
face
Also might check out cute partition manager. And the drives usually come
(or available on the web) utilities to handle transfer to a new drive,
backup, etc.

Dr Skip wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2008\06\15@192818 by Philip Pemberton

face
flavicon
face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> Any other Fedora 9 users here? What is your first impression
> with Fedora 9?

I put it on the Thinkpad (T42, 1.8GHz Intel Pentium-M Dothan, 1GB RAM, 40GB
HDD, DVD-ROM) this morning. By mid-afternoon it was gone.

For starters, I can't stand GNOME - I've traditionally been more of a KDE fan
(some tradition!). So I installed KDE on Fedora 9 and ran yum update to bring
the system up to date... big mistake.

It seems Fedora have decided to use the 'raw' KDE 4.0. From what I can gather,
some of the KDE dev team are less than pleased about this, and there are a lot
of missing features. Things like, for instance, the Taskbar is locked to
black. That's right, you can't change the Taskbar colour or background
image... Well, apparently you can change the theme, but I tried for nearly 40
minutes to get the "plain" theme from KDE-look working, but installing it
proved impossible.

System load borders on Vista-like insanity. The CPU in the T42 was constantly
cranking at 1800MHz - on Fedora 7 it usually runs at 1800 for a bit, then
settles down to between 600 and 800MHz (i.e. about as fast as an Eee 701). No
such luck here. Battery life was pitiful - less than 40 minutes on a battery
that usually lasts an hour and a half.

Just for grins, I yum-upgraded KDE to the current Rawhide development version.
That pretty much fragged the system completely. KDE wouldn't load (kcmserver
failed to start) and X wasn't too happy either. Not that I expected it to work
in the first place...

I've switched the Thinkpad to Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.5 (though admittedly with
the new-style Control Centre and file manager). CPU load is now back to <5%
idle and SpeedStep is holding it at around 600MHz in "power save" mode, or 800
in "dynamic scaling" mode.

Hardware wise, everything - and I mean everything - worked right out of the
box. Intel ICH4 chipset, ATI Mobility 7500 graphics, the DVD drive, power
management, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, everything. Didn't even have to install madwifi
manually, it just worked. This is Ubuntu or Mandrake level ease of use...

Serious, honest opinion? Wait until mid-July, then try it. For now I'd stick
with one of the Ubuntu 8.04 variants or Fedora 8. Unless you like GNOME, in
which case, go right ahead and upgrade.

Ugh.

--
Phil.
spam_OUTpiclistTakeThisOuTspamphilpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk/

2008\06\15@193636 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Philip Pemberton <.....piclistKILLspamspam@spam@philpem.me.uk> wrote:
> Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Any other Fedora 9 users here? What is your first impression
>> with Fedora 9?
> Serious, honest opinion? Wait until mid-July, then try it. For now I'd stick
> with one of the Ubuntu 8.04 variants or Fedora 8. Unless you like GNOME, in
> which case, go right ahead and upgrade.

I see. I like Gnome way better than KDE. So I did not even install KDE
and have no plan to use KDE on either Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9.

I have KDE installed in Ubuntu 7.10 but almost never used it.

Xiaofan

2008\06\15@211742 by John Chung

picon face
I rather use WindowMaker for the Window Manager. Faster and more
responsive.

John Chung


--- On Mon, 6/16/08, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofancspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> --

2008\06\15@223440 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 6/16/08, John Chung <@spam@kravnusKILLspamspamyahoo.com> wrote:
> I rather use WindowMaker for the Window Manager. Faster and more
> responsive.

Hmm, that was old. Even XFCE is rather useless compared to
Gnome/KDE. KDE seems to be more "powerful" but I am fine
with Gnome. To me, anything simpler is only for very very
underpowered PC.

Xiaofan

2008\06\16@072336 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
Many Unix/Linux programmers I know prefers lightweight window manager,
blackbox. They do not need fancy gadgets, only something that allows them to
open many terminal windows to run vim + gdb... But that's the beauty of
linux, isn't it? To have more than one choice and to be able to use the
window manager you like.

Tamas


On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Xiaofan Chen <KILLspamxiaofancKILLspamspamgmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/08, John Chung <RemoveMEkravnusTakeThisOuTspamyahoo.com> wrote:
> > I rather use WindowMaker for the Window Manager. Faster and more
> > responsive.
>
> Hmm, that was old. Even XFCE is rather useless compared to
> Gnome/KDE. KDE seems to be more "powerful" but I am fine
> with Gnome. To me, anything simpler is only for very very
> underpowered PC.
>
> Xiaofan
> -

2008\06\16@100856 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Tamas Rudnai <spamBeGonetamas.rudnaispamBeGonespamgmail.com> wrote:
> Many Unix/Linux programmers I know prefers lightweight window manager,
> blackbox. They do not need fancy gadgets, only something that allows them to
> open many terminal windows to run vim + gdb... But that's the beauty of
> linux, isn't it? To have more than one choice and to be able to use the
> window manager you like.
>

I see. I admit I am not a programmer and I do not use vim that much
and do not use emacs at all. I only know a few commands of gdb.

>From what I see Gnome actually runs fine for quite under-powered
computer. I just installed Fedora Core 6 on a 5-year old Dell 600M
laptop. It runs XP just fine with 256M RAM but the dying keyboard controller
on the mother board causes big problems for XP (sending out random
keys) even though I am using an external USB keyboard. It seems that
FC6 is better but I need more testing.

Last time this laptop had big problem with Redhat Linux version 9.

Xiaofan

2008\06\16@110944 by John Chung

picon face
I am more of a minimalist. Yes I am a programmer but I tend to live
in a dev env which is not quite ideal. Windows XP. I like WindowMaker
b'cos it is fast and takes very little resources. I am able to
do most of the stuff I need to do with the window manager.

John Chung


--- On Mon, 6/16/08, Tamas Rudnai <TakeThisOuTtamas.rudnaiEraseMEspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

2008\06\19@094456 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Xiaofan Chen <RemoveMExiaofancspam_OUTspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Philip Pemberton <RemoveMEpiclistTakeThisOuTspamspamphilpem.me.uk> wrote:
>> Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>>> Any other Fedora 9 users here? What is your first impression
>>> with Fedora 9?
>> Serious, honest opinion? Wait until mid-July, then try it. For now I'd stick
>> with one of the Ubuntu 8.04 variants or Fedora 8. Unless you like GNOME, in
>> which case, go right ahead and upgrade.
>
> I see. I like Gnome way better than KDE. So I did not even install KDE
> and have no plan to use KDE on either Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9.
>
> I have KDE installed in Ubuntu 7.10 but almost never used it.

Today I installed KDE under Fedora 9 and it is quite nice. Still
feel it is a bit slower than Gnome but it seems to be not bad.

KDE 4 is quite beautiful indeed.

Xiaofan

2008\06\19@100002 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
I am quite happy with Gnome at the moment (was using KDE for long time, but
it becomes slower and slower as they add more and more nice features). I've
just installed VMware 6 and XP, so will see if USB 2.0 support of VMware6
works well with PicKit2 and with my USB projects.

BTW: Is there any good software USB protocol analyzer for linux? And if
there is any way to use PicKit2 as a debugger with PIKlab or PIKdev or other
environment? PIKlab claims that it will send firmware 1.x to PicKit2 which I
do not want, so I might will use the command line tool and maybe the virtual
Win instead.

Any comments is more than welcome
Tamas


On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Xiaofan Chen <EraseMExiaofancspamspamspamBeGonegmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\06\28@085942 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Tamas Rudnai <spamBeGonetamas.rudnaiSTOPspamspamEraseMEgmail.com> wrote:

> BTW: Is there any good software USB protocol analyzer for linux?

usbmon is kind of a software sniffer under Linux. It is built-into the kernel.
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt

> And if there is any way to use PicKit2 as a debugger with PIKlab or PIKdev
> or other environment?

Not yet and I doubt it will be implemented anytime soon. pikdev is
basically dead. Piklab is kind of dormant now as well.

> PIKlab claims that it will send firmware 1.x to PicKit2 which I
> do not want, so I might will use the command line tool and
> maybe the virtual Win instead.

For programming, you can use pk2cmd Linux port.
http://home.pacbell.net/theposts/picmicro/

An updated pk2cmd under Linux and Mac OS X will soon
be out. Maybe Monday.

Xiaofan

2008\06\28@090544 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Xiaofan Chen <KILLspamxiaofancspamBeGonespamgmail.com> wrote:
> Today I installed KDE under Fedora 9 and it is quite nice. Still
> feel it is a bit slower than Gnome but it seems to be not bad.
>
> KDE 4 is quite beautiful indeed.
>

But it is slow. So I go back to Gnome.

Still Firefox is a main problem for me. It is extremely slow under Fedora 9,
especially with Gmail.

I had some hardware problem with the old ATI 9800SE graphic card
(mostly graphics RAM cooling problem so the system will occasionally
fail to boot up). So I bought a even lower end AGP card (NVidia FX
5200) as I really do not need any 3D capability and hope it will
improve the stability of the system.

Xiaofan

2008\06\28@222327 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Xiaofan Chen <EraseMExiaofancspamEraseMEgmail.com> wrote:
>> KDE 4 is quite beautiful indeed.
>>
>
> But it is slow. So I go back to Gnome.
>
> Still Firefox is a main problem for me. It is extremely slow under Fedora 9,
> especially with Gmail.

Switching to Swiftfox seems to fix the problem. I do not know why top
Linux distros like Ubuntu and Fedora have done such a bad job
to get Firefox right.

Xiaofan

2008\06\29@035847 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
I am not sure what is the problem with FireFox on your side, on my Ubuntu FF
works way faster than on Windows XP or Vista.

Anyway, I am just playing with Wine, and MPLAB works now with some minor
issues, and I can compile with MPASM and C18 and debug with MPSIM.

Tamas



On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Xiaofan Chen <@spam@xiaofanc@spam@spamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\06\29@074213 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Tamas Rudnai <.....tamas.rudnaispam_OUTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, I am just playing with Wine, and MPLAB works now with some minor
> issues, and I can compile with MPASM and C18 and debug with MPSIM.

In my opionion Wine with MPLAB is a dead end. Yes the software components
will work. So if you want to use MPSIM, it is a good option. However, if you
want to use any of the hardware components, you are basically out.

In the end, Windows XP under a VM will be more productive if you do not
want to use dual boot.

Xiaofan

2008\06\29@074858 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Tamas Rudnai <TakeThisOuTtamas.rudnai.....spamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure what is the problem with FireFox on your side, on my Ubuntu FF
> works way faster than on Windows XP or Vista.

I seldom use Firefox under Windows. So I am not so sure about the speed
comparison and I do not really that care about speed. Stability is more of
an issue for me for Firefox under either Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 9. It is now
better under Ubuntu 8.04. Under Fedora 9, the default Firefox is not that
stable. Switching to Swiftfox seems to help.

I was thinking the ATI9800SE video card might be the problem. Now I
have an Nvidia FX5200 card, Firefox problem still exists. Switching to
Swiftfox mostly solved the problem under older Ubuntu versions (Ubuntu
6.06 and 7.10).

Unfortunately I still do not like to use Opera under Linux. I just do not
quite like the user interface.

Xiaofan

2008\06\29@075343 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Xiaofan Chen <TakeThisOuTxiaofancKILLspamspamspamgmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Xiaofan Chen <.....xiaofancspamRemoveMEgmail.com> wrote:
>> Today I installed KDE under Fedora 9 and it is quite nice. Still
>> feel it is a bit slower than Gnome but it seems to be not bad.
>>
>> KDE 4 is quite beautiful indeed.
>>
>
> But it is slow. So I go back to Gnome.

Actually I am ok with both Gnome and KDE. But it seems to me
KDE under both Fedora and Ubuntu are not as good as Gnome.
Just my personal experience. Many power users like to use KDE.
My usage pattern under Linux/Gnome is pretty simple. I
am mainly use Firefox for web and email (Gmail and Yahoo email)
and then testing some USB stuff like PICkit 2 and PICDEM FS USB.

Under FreeBSD 7 and NetBSD 4, I actually use KDE 3.5. I
have some limited success of using PICkit 2 under FreeBSD
but I am still struggling  to get PICkit 2 work under NetBSD.
Under both OS, I need to rebuilding the kernel.


Xiaofan

2008\06\29@081654 by Shawn Tan

flavicon
face
On Sunday 29 June 2008 12:48:36 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> I seldom use Firefox under Windows. So I am not so sure about the speed
> comparison and I do not really that care about speed. Stability is more of
> an issue for me for Firefox under either Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 9. It is now
> better under Ubuntu 8.04. Under Fedora 9, the default Firefox is not that
> stable. Switching to Swiftfox seems to help.

Stability is a very hardware dependent thing. On a system that we were setting
up for a client, for some reason, the server would randomly hang at random
intervals. At first, we tried to swap parts out and run memory burn in tests,
all unsuccessfully. In the end, we just built a new server box with different
vendor parts and it worked flawlessly.

Personally, I've not had FF hang on me under Hardy at all. But mine might just
be an isolated case.

--
with metta,
Shawn Tan

Aeste Works (M) Sdn Bhd - Engineering Elegance
http://www.aeste.net

2008\06\29@082129 by Dario Greggio

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> I seldom use Firefox under Windows. So I am not so sure about the speed
> comparison and I do not really that care about speed. Stability is more of

It's a bit (somewhat) slow in starting, but then it's ok and safe.


--
Ciao, Dario

2008\06\29@083122 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Dario Greggio <RemoveMEadpm.tospamspamBeGoneinwind.it> wrote:
>> I seldom use Firefox under Windows. So I am not so sure about the speed
>> comparison and I do not really that care about speed. Stability is more of
>
> It's a bit (somewhat) slow in starting, but then it's ok and safe.

Safe is a relative thing with Firefox under Windows. ;-)

And Vista is *annoyingly* safer than XP. ;-)

To me IE7 seems to be good enough for me under XP. Occasionally I will
switch to Firefox under IE7 when IE7 is having a problem with a web page.

Xiaofan

2008\06\29@083432 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Shawn Tan <spamBeGoneshawn.tan@spam@spamspam_OUTaeste.net> wrote:
> Personally, I've not had FF hang on me under Hardy at all. But mine might just
> be an isolated case.

Yes it is way better now than when Ubuntu 8.04 LTS was out. To me Ubuntu 8.04
is now very stable that it replaced the old Ubuntu 6.06 LTS as my main
Linux distro
to use. Therefore I do not need to use swiftfox under Ubuntu 8.04 even though
I needs to use swiftfox under Ubuntu 6.06.

Xiaofan

2008\06\29@085957 by Dario Greggio

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>>It's a bit (somewhat) slow in starting, but then it's ok and safe.
>
> Safe is a relative thing with Firefox under Windows. ;-)

no, well, it's good enough...

> And Vista is *annoyingly* safer than XP. ;-)

don't tell me :)
I managed to but a HP notebook without OS... to install XP on it!!

> To me IE7 seems to be good enough for me under XP. Occasionally I will
> switch to Firefox under IE7 when IE7 is having a problem with a web page.

agreed on 7, but 6.0 was catastrophic, and that's why I started using
Firefox.
(on other machines, older OS, I've been using Netscape since 1996 -
which I still do now!)

--
Ciao, Dario

2008\06\29@152835 by Harold Hallikainen

face
flavicon
face
I FINALLY tried out CloneZilla, and it worked quite well. I've now moved
from a 100GB drive to a 500GB drive under Fedora Core 4. Now... what do I
do to repartition it to use the whole drive? Here's what I get from df:

[harold@sujan ~]$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                     107G   61G   41G  60% /
/dev/hda1              99M   93M  1.3M  99% /boot
/dev/shm              502M     0  502M   0% /dev/shm
[harold@sujan ~]$


THANKS for the assistance. I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but I have
not yet found it.

Harold


{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\06\29@213655 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
I hate to bring this up, but isn't "Fedora 9 First Impression" just a
little off-topic? I'm on a LUG mailing list and that's where I expect to
see these types of discussions, not the PICLIST. :)

Cheerful regards,

Bob


On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:27:00 -0700 (PDT), "Harold Hallikainen"
<TakeThisOuTharoldspamspamhallikainen.org> said:
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - A fast, anti-spam email service.

2008\06\29@215744 by Harold Hallikainen

face
flavicon
face
True. I'm on this list and not that, and there are some Fedora users here.
But, I'll go over to Fedora Forum.

Thanks!

Harold
{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\06\30@065852 by olin piclist

face picon face
Bob Blick wrote:
> I hate to bring this up, but isn't "Fedora 9 First Impression" just a
> little off-topic? I'm on a LUG mailing list and that's where I expect
> to
> see these types of discussions, not the PICLIST. :)

Yeah, we seem to have gotten a lot of these Linux admin threads in the last
year or two.  Currently it's not so bad with this single one, but still,
surely there are lists just for this sort of issue?


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000.

2008\06\30@113404 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 13:16 +0100, Shawn Tan wrote:
> On Sunday 29 June 2008 12:48:36 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> > I seldom use Firefox under Windows. So I am not so sure about the speed
> > comparison and I do not really that care about speed. Stability is more of
> > an issue for me for Firefox under either Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 9. It is now
> > better under Ubuntu 8.04. Under Fedora 9, the default Firefox is not that
> > stable. Switching to Swiftfox seems to help.
>
> Stability is a very hardware dependent thing. On a system that we were setting
> up for a client, for some reason, the server would randomly hang at random
> intervals. At first, we tried to swap parts out and run memory burn in tests,
> all unsuccessfully. In the end, we just built a new server box with different
> vendor parts and it worked flawlessly.
>
> Personally, I've not had FF hang on me under Hardy at all. But mine might just
> be an isolated case.

FWIW FF3 on Hardy has been pretty much rock solid for me. It has crashed
a couple times, but the recovery facility makes crashes zero worries (if
the browser crashes, restart it and it'll reopen all the tabs you had
open, works extremely well).

The RCs were far less stable, but still collectively faster and more
stable then FF2.

Xiaofan, during an earlier discussion didn't you mention you're running
some language related plug in?

TTYL

2008\06\30@193259 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Herbert Graf <RemoveMEmailinglist4EraseMEspamspam_OUTfarcite.net> wrote:
> FWIW FF3 on Hardy has been pretty much rock solid for me. It has crashed
> a couple times, but the recovery facility makes crashes zero worries (if
> the browser crashes, restart it and it'll reopen all the tabs you had
> open, works extremely well).

Same experience. I am happy with FF3 under Ubuntu 8.04.

> The RCs were far less stable, but still collectively faster and more
> stable then FF2.

Agreed. I think now Ubuntu 3 is running the release version.

> Xiaofan, during an earlier discussion didn't you mention you're running
> some language related plug in?

Not on Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9.

By the way, originally I wanted to post this topic as [OT] but James
mentioned that IT topics are [EE]. Next time I would probably
post IT topics (especially Windows/Linux) as [OT].

Xiaofan


'[EE] Fedora 9 First Impression'
2008\07\01@082112 by Jake Anderson
flavicon
face

Herbert Graf wrote:
{Quote hidden}

After having something of a baptism of fire with FC9 I haven't found
anything major wrong with it (built and deployed 6 kiosks using it
inside 2 days). Its hardware support seems better than ubuntu 8.04 as
its using the .25 kernel which was something of a surprise for me. I
still much prefer the ubuntu way of doing things. Not having to rember
the path to every damn program I want to run for a start, ubuntu still
has Ease of use all over FC9 ;->
I have noticed that compiz can get a little upset after a days work with
>50 windows open in ubuntu, no comparison for FC9.

It feels like FC9 is trying to get ubuntu's out of the box onto the disk
install ease, but they aren't there yet. On the other hand ubuntu which
has always pushed for the latest hardware support and all the new wiz
bang bits is playing it conservative for the current LTS release.

Firefox had a bad spell where youtube would crash it, still can be a
little unstable there, but thats adobes fault not FF.
Firefox still occasionally pulls 100% CPU but again i'm 99% sure thats a
problem with flashplayer.
I use gnash on my 64bit TV but alot of websites just pop boxes up saying
"you have to be using the latest flash player to use this site"
Gnash seems to leave loads of copies of itself running which isn't
optimal either.


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...